Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The road to the perfect venue.

Once the high of my proposal wore off and I realized I would then have to plan a wedding (yikes) I started to look for a venue. I knew I wanted to get married on Halloween weekend because 1. our first date was October 30th and 2. I really love Halloween, as you can see pictured below.
                               This is an 80's rocker (fiance) and Lady Gaga (me)
    Anyway, with the Halloween theme in mind I pictured and old estate or some kind of historic landmark. I looked around a bit and found them to be very expensive and very strict with their rules. Most big old houses are in residential areas and have noise ordinances that cause your event to have to end at 10pm. Not cool.

      So I then began to research the crap out of unique venues. I started looking on vendor websites to see where they had worked events to try and steal someone's great idea think out of the box. I came upon a few gems, the first being the most unusual place in the mix.

     It's the Winter Park Farmers Market, a building that was originally built as a train depot and now hosts a market on Saturday mornings. It's owned by the city and with in venue budget (which is 1,000).
                                              Image Source
     The next venue I contemplated is the Woman's Club of Winter park which is right down the road from the Farmers market. They had nice wood floors and fire places on both sides of the room but they had some strict rules on decor, and the price was slightly higher.
                                                   Image Source
       Next on the list was a community building about 15 minutes from where we live. I was excited to see the inside after looking at the awesome outside online. It looked like an old house! It was my haunted mansion and I was so excited! Upon my visit I realized they had no ceremony space (unless you count the stage). This was a bummer, with our small venue budget I needed one location. They also had rules about needing to hire police officers if you're going to serve alcohol, which we weren't too thrilled about.

                                                  Image Source
       The final place I seriously looked into was a golf course club house/ballroom. Picture creaky wood floors and a big stone fire place, it def had the decor I was looking for. They had an out side ceremony space and provided all the food and alcohol. This proved to be expensive. On the up side it meant I'd have a DOC by going with this venue but after negotiating some food prices it was not going to be with in budget.

                                           Photo courtesy of   Pilster Photography
      Above are just the final venues that I took my family to in order to make a decision, I actually looked at at least 200 venues online. So which venue did I go with?  Drum roll please!

     I went with the Winter Park Farmer's Market! Woo Hoo! Hold your applause, you're too kind! It's not an old house but I'll make it look that way. My fiance and I are both very pleased with it. He actually has memories of his mother taking him there on Saturday mornings as a small boy. Who knew that he'd grow up and one day get married there. We love the big barn doors and industrial flooring. They recently installed market lights which are really charming. Here are some more pics!

                                              Photo Courtesy of Jessica Lorren Photography

                                                    Photo Courtesy of Studio 222 Photography
                                                       Image Source

How long did it take you to pick a venue? How many did everybody look at?
                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment