Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Craigslist: Where Wedding Dresses Go To Die

      Ever wonder where all those heinous wedding dresses are from the 80's? No, prob not, why would you? I'm going to tell you anyway, they're on Craigslist being disguised as "vintage". Yes, buyer beware of these impostor antique frocks. The good thing that I can say about them is that I haven't seen one listed for more than 200 dollars which all that material and beading may indeed be worth. Here are a few I found very quickly in my area. All images via http://orlando.craigslist.org/

         This one was labeled as "Flawless", I'm sure that's the first thing people would think if they saw you in it.







    This one may have been 70's, I also saw a huge hat in one of the pics.


    This one boasted an original purchase price of 1,200 bucks, now asking 100.








       I itch just looking at this picture.


            This one is funny, it looks like they put the dress back on for the picture.


        This last one is my favorite, very "Muriel's Wedding". Unless you are having a serious Pretty in Pink moment what are you going to do with these? Who is actually buying them? I'm sure if you are a skilled seamstress that you could strip away those big sleeves and all that sheer material and make a nice simple dress, and more power to you if that's what you need to do.

        I just think that when you buy a wedding dress that is trendy you really have two options. Sell it after the wedding while it's still in style or save it for your daughter who may be able to do a repair job on it. As far as I'm concerned the above pictures are all Halloween costumes in the making.

    Some one should come up with a craft book, What to do with 80's Wedding Gowns. It could have directions on how to make aprons, curtains, and table linens from your old dress. The big poofy sleeve could become a shower poof. Talk about going green!

         What do you think about these dresses? Funny or sad? Any idea on how to recycle them?

No comments:

Post a Comment