Thursday, April 14, 2011

Oh sure, there were tears when I went dress shopping.

        When my friends and I get together we have a good time, sometimes a really good time. It's one of those situations like when you have one 5 year old they are normal and cute, but put 4 five year olds together and it's total anarchy.  That's what it's like to hang out with us. All of a sudden no one has an inside voice and the conversation is on the level of convicts and sea captains.  Basically it's the best time of your life. 
                                                This is us eating craw fish in NOLA
    
       Not long after I got engaged one of my good friends was in from out of town. Even though I hadn't even began to think about dresses she really wanted me to go try some on so she could be a part of the process. No problem, we were all together anyway so lets do it! Friend #2 makes an appointment at Alfred Angelo and off we go. 

       Our first mistake may have been to go on a Saturday. We arrive on time and are politely greeted. We end up having to wait which at first I'm fine with but I really hate having to wait when I have a set appointment time. To make matters worse there are kids running around the shop like maniacs. Now, I am a very patient person, but when parents let their children terrorize the public I can't stand it. If I acted like that as a child my mom would have grabbed me by my little pony tail and given me a nice threat, end of psycho behavior. 

        After 15 minutes of waiting a girl comes to help me. We say hello and I let her know this is my first time looking. She then disappoints me. 
        Her: Ok, well before I get you a room why don't you look at this catalog and then i'll come back 
               and you can let me know what dresses I can pull for you.
        Me: Actually, we've already been waiting a little bit. How about I go in the room and you can 
               just bring me an A line and a Mermaid so I can see which style I like better and we can go 
               on from there.

         I said this nicely in a regular conversational tone, so what happened next blew my mind! She said OK and to give her a minute while she got a room ready. I sat back down and quickly flipped threw the catalog so I could tell her a specific dress to pull. I quickly found one and looked around for her. At first I couldn't find her but after searching through the racks I came upon the scene. 
    
       She was standing with the manager crying her eyes out. She was facing me and I could see that she was beyond flustered, her face and neck were red and her cheeks were wet with tears. I stood there shocked and asked if everything was alright. They told me that everything was fine and that they'd be right with me. Holy Awkward! I didn't know what to say, had I made this poor girl cry? I didn't feel like I had been snotty, I just wanted to get the show on the road. I returned to my seat to go over and analyze every word I had said to her. I frantically whispered to my friends what I'd seen and they re assured me that it couldn't have been me, she was just having a bad day.    ( Below is a bridezilla which I swear I was not being!)
                                                                 Image Source            

    Eventually the manager comes back and presents me with a new attendant who is not crying. During the course of my visit I ask about what happened to the other girl and my new one rolled her eyes and told me not to worry about her. This made me feel better and about 1/4 of my guilt slipped away.
    
       I didn't buy anything that day and even though my friends swore up and down that I didn't make that girl cry they've certainly changed their stories now. When we go out to eat they'll warn me to not make the waitress cry or when we go to the mall they'll say, "I wonder which sales people we can get to cry today?"
   
       It's a very memorable dress shopping experience and not because it was my first, but because I made someone cry. No I didn't, really, you have to believe me!

    Did anything funny happen to you on the way to the dress shop?










No comments:

Post a Comment